Here’s the TIFF trailer for Anna Karenina (2012) that sparked my interest for all the wrong reasons as I was not watching it when it was first playing on my computer yet the trailer music is too obvious for me since it’s the track named “Nero” from the album “Archangel” by Two Steps From Hell which also had their trailer music playing for other films that I liked such as J.J.Abram’s Star Trek reboot and from videogames like Bioware’s Mass Effect 2 and 3. Well, considering this blog spent so much time talking about Mass Effect 3 I might as well throw a token reference back to it again in this post!
Here is the domestic (North American) trailer for Taken 2 the sequel to Liam Neeson’s sleeper 2008 hit, Taken, that basically made him into a viable action star. I was only mildly amused with the original film that more or less only remained afloat due to Neeson’s charged performance but audiences certainly responded in droves propelling it to a box office gross just north of $145 million USD in the US and Canada and another $81 million in International receipts.
Speed Angels is not so much a terrible film as it is completely pointless. There’s not one single original idea presented here outside of its premise and as a result the entire film takes on a perfunctory air as every narrative element follows an inherently stereotypical trajectory. It would not be exaggeration to say that 90% of the audience will immediately know exactly where the plot is headed and the other 10% isn’t cluing in merely because they had long since fallen asleep at the wheel lulled into slumber due to boredom.
Flying under the radar is usually not a phrase attached to any project by Lana and Andy Wachowski (formerly known as The Wachowski Brothers) considering at the height of their popularity every film geek knew they were the directors of The Matrix. However, time hasn’t been so kind to their stature although releasing sub-par material surely had a hand in their relative decline with their subsequent films, Matrix Reloaded, Matrix Revolutions and the lamentable Speed Racer all doing everything in their power to reduce their cinematic credibility.
Just in time for the opening ceremonies of the London 2012 Olympics here comes the latest 30 second advertisement for the newest James Bond movie, Skyfall. Most shouldn’t really be surprised with this news considering good old James Bond (Daniel Craig) took part in the opening ceremonies as well. Still, here’s hoping the proper full-length trailer for Skyfall appears soon.
Ocean Heaven is a film that should not work as it is built on time-worn generic genre tropes this time revolving around that perennial melodramatic favorite of a hero/heroine dying of yet another terminal disease. Fans of Japanese, Taiwanese, South Korean or Hong Kong dramas will immediately understand what I am talking about since nary a season goes by which does not feature a new show built around this same setup. Admittedly, I am not averse to such a five-hanky tear-jerker where I have every expectation that the filmmakers will present situations that lead to viewers crying like wounded hyenas but the problem the majority of these dramas notoriously run into is that they rarely deviate from the same narrative beats. The only thing that really changes is the name of the dreaded terminal disease and I would not be surprised if some enterprising netizen hasn’t already created the generic soap opera website which churns out plots merely by substituting a few words.
When I read the title Atlantis: Mysteries of the Ancient Inventors HD the first impression that immediately came to mind was that I was probably going to experience a game where I would discover some insight into Ancient Atlantean culture and its many supposed fantastical inventions. Alas, what I received was yet another example of banal game design that hardly manages to present a coherent plot other than, “Let’s go find Atlantis.” Now, that is not necessarily a bad idea as there are literally a thousand variations of what happened to the long lost Atlantean civilization but the game makes the fatal mistake of crafting a hidden object experience that surely ranks as one of the worst on the market.
It’s been a few months since I last posted a blog entry about the upcoming Rurouni Kenshin live action adaptation that is due in Japanese cinemas this August 25, 2012. Here is the latest 60 second television advertisement along with the full trailer that features new footage not seen in the teaser released at the beginning of the year. Diehard Kenshin fans will no doubt pick up a lot of shots/scenes that seem directly ripped from the manga/anime so here’s hoping the final product is worthy.